Unlike many other Model United Nations simulations, MUNFW is based upon the premise that participating academic institutions are the stakeholders of the organization. Representatives of participating institutions (faculty advisors and/or delegation chairs) should formulate the broad policy parameters to ensure that MUNFW continues to function as an academically sound enterprise, continues to improve the quality of conference experiences for student delegates, and, in the end, ensures the long-term survival of the organization and conference. These policy decisions are made in Membership meetings during the annual MUNFW conference.
Membership of MUNFW, Inc. consists of all credentialed schools attending the Annual Model United Nations of the Far West Conference. Representatives of those member schools that have paid all fees should participate in the Membership meetings for that conference. It is extremely important that each school have an advisor and/or delegation chair who is free during meeting times and willing to represent the school in Membership. Vital items such as the following are considered:
- Discussion and approval of changes in the wording or interpretation of the rules of procedure and guides to participation (or Rules Committee);
- Discussion and approval of changes to the Governing Documents (or General Committee); the Governing Documents are the guidelines for conducting each annual conference;
- Selection of future conference Secretariats and approval of the fees and budget for each conference;
- Review and acceptance of the report of the immediate past conference Secretariat;
- Evaluation of and/or adjustments to the current conference;
- Election of Officers for the MUNFW, Inc. Board of Directors;
- Election of student representatives to the MUNFW, Inc. Board of Directors;
- Review and acceptance of the report and suggestions of the MUNFW, Inc. Board of Directors;
- Review and acceptance of the report and suggestions of the Executive Director.
Membership usually meets twice during the conference: Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. If a need arises, a Rules Committee consisting of 5 to 9 member schools and/or a General Committee consisting of 7 to 16 member schools may be convened also. Other appropriate groups may be formed at the discretion of the Membership.
Member schools are responsible for determining much about future conferences, including how they are organized and operated and how they are evaluated. Member school participation in this process is essential for ensuring a prosperous future for the organization.
Important Documents for the Conference Membership
The following documents are helpful for understanding the role of the Membership Committee and preparing for the annual Membership meetings. This list also includes the agenda for this year’s Membership Committee meeting and the minutes of the previous meeting.
• 2019 Membership Committee Meeting Minutes
• 2021 Membership Committee Agenda
• 2021 Proposed Conference Agenda (Consider for approval)
For more information about the conference Membership Committee, contact:
Dr. Noah Zerbe, Membership Chair
email@example.com (Include ‘MUNFW Membership’ in subject line)